April 06, 2008

Kansas Capital Tour

A couple of weeks ago my Dad came for a visit and we took a tour of the Kansas State Capital, which included a trek to the top of the Dome. I have accidentally posted these pictures backwards--from end to beginning and I'm too lazy to change it now. If any of my readers come to visit beautiful, exciting Topeka (make reservations, we are often overrun with sightseers), I will be happy to take you to the Capital but am not promising to go to the top. Overcoming my extreme fear of heights once was enough.
At the top of the dome. For reference, this is what I look like when I am terrified and clinched on to something. It was very windy at the top so you can easily see all my grey roots.

View from the top looking Northwest. The large structure in the background is one of the world's largest grain elevators.

Looking down from the top of the dome. Chuck took all of these pictures from the top as I could never have unpried my fingers to snap the shutter.

View to the West of the Dome.

View to the Southeast of the Dome. I work in the building on the left corner. You are looking in the direction of my house.

Jade at the top. Unafraid.

The final leg to the top is this spiral staircase.

This long staircase looks unsupported and looking down is terrifying. No the round windows, then look at the view of the Capital below for reference to where we are. At first I decided to stay behind and wait while everyone else made the climb. Then as I saw Jade who is 9 years old and my Dad who is 67 years old climbing up this staircase, I decided to give it try. I was the last one to reach the top since I started out after everyone else was out of view.

Andrea and Jade. Note one of the many murals in the background.

View from where we began our climb.

Picture of the Capital under construction in the 1880's.

Our tour guide giving final instructions before the 296 step climb. Obviously, Dad is excited and having a lot of fun.


Paper airplane at the top of the "fake" inner dome. I assume it's what our state representatives do to kill time.

Kansas Senate chambers.


Dad having the time of his life.

Kansas House of Representatives.

The State Library has a glass floor. It was build before electricity and the glass floor allowed more light to reach the stacks.

Note the lady on the right who is painting a picture.

The picture is a self portrait of the artist who painted the mural.

View from below of the inner dome.

Capital from the front. With the dome it is 304 feet high.

The statue on the top was just installed in 2002. I watched them install it with a crane. The statue is of a Kansa warrier and is named "Ad Astra". The Kansas state motto is "Ad Astra Per Aspera" which translated means "to the stars with difficulties". A good motto which also applies to walking to the top of the dome in my opinion. This railing is where we ended our tour--as close to the stars as I hope to ever be.

No comments: