March 11, 2007

Lone Star Lake Bison Ranch

My best charging buffalo imitation.

Kansas buffalo.


Buffalo close-up.
Yes, more buffalo.

Charging buffalo.

My favorite buffalo shot.

Bye, bye buffalo.
Yesterday Andrea, Chuck and I took a little trip to the Lone Star Lake Bison Ranch located at 588 N. 300th Road in Overbrook, Kansas (just South of Lawrence). I saw it listed on the Travel Kansas website and wanted to drive over and take some Buffalo pictures. For the websites description visit: http://www.travelks.com/s/index.cfm?LID=5947&QString=Keywords%3Dbison%2520ranch.
However, the websites description turned out to not be very accurate. I had pictured buffalo roaming over the pretty prairie. In actuality, the buffalo are on 50 acres next to a 60's era home. The promised "country store" does not exist though we did buy some "buffalo hamburger" straight from the farmer's freezer at $5.50 per pound. The folks who raise the buffalo were very nice and let us take lots of pictures. The farmer rounded the buffalo into a holding pen next to the house and fed them some kind of buffalo "pellets" from a bag which they really liked. My pictures do not demonstrate the immense size of these animals. They are huge. Though not what I expected, it was worth a Saturday afternoon drive.
There used to be Buffalo about 3/4 of mile from our house. When Chuck and I walked in the evenings, sometimes we walked to the pasture to look at the Buffalo. They always stayed at the back fo the pasture and were hard to see. Now, I don't think they are there any more.
We will let you know how our buffalo burgers turn out. Buffalo is suppossed to be very lean and taste a lot like hamburger. I am keeping an open mind.

No comments: