One of the Snokomo brick outhouses.
Chuck and I often take off on a Sunday afternoon and just drive around. We usually don't have a location in mind but often run across interesting sites. Last summer, we were out driving and found this interesting old limestone school house. We had Wiley along (he loves adventures) and stopped and took a few pictures. The school house itself is located in a very pretty setting and is still in pretty good shape. The water pump even still worked and Wiley was able to get a cold drink of well water. This schoolhouse is easy to find. For directions and an interesting personal story related by the daughter of one of the former teachers, visit http://www.kansasheritage.org/orsh/library/snokomo.htm.
When I was little, I was always fascinated by the fact that my Grandma Summers got to ride her horse to the one room school house she attended. And her sister, Agnes, taught school at the Ricetown Schoolhouse (For those of you who don't know, my maiden name was "Rice" and "Ricetown, Missouri" was founded by my ancestors, who came from Kentucky. However, the town no longer exists. I know the location but it is now just an empty field and even the school is gone.) My mother even attended a one-room schoolhouse through about second grade. Hearing all these stories growing up (and reading all the "Little House on the Prairie" books) always made me fascinated by one room schoolhouses.
I have a list of remaining old Kansas school houses. Many I have run across are in bad shape and I want to take pictures of as many as I can while they still exist. So this summer, I plan on posting a lot of schoolhouse shots. I may even start a second public blog of just my Kansas pictures.



No comments:
Post a Comment