Chuck and I came home from a weekend trip to Kansas City to find a copy of this magazine in the mail. We were both sick with the flu and a little crabby. We had cut our romantic weekend short because nausea and chilling are best endured in your own bed. I was confused as to why I had received the magazine since I don't subscribe. I enter a lot of contests. I immediately thought, "I probably entered a stupid contest and accidentally subscribed to a magazine. Great, another thing to straighten out". Chuck said, "Didn't you submit something to the magazine a while back?" I flipped through the magazine but didn't see any article or pictures of mine. I tossed it aside. Chuck picked up the magazine and after a while came and gave me a kiss. "What's that for?" I asked, thinking the fever might be making him delusional. "For my published author" he said, showing me the article with my by-line. I had completely overlooked it. Unfortunately, I was too sick to really enjoy the moment. I dug the envelope back out of the trash and discovered a letter saying my check would be mailed under separate cover. About three weeks later I received a check from "Readers Digest" for $250.00. I held onto it for about 3 weeks before I could bring myself to cash it.
My original story was 6 pages long and I was unhappy with the edits Country Magazine made to the article. However, this check eased my discomfort. I have already submitted another article and am working on another. Perhaps in another year I will receive another random magazine and check.




No comments:
Post a Comment