On February 8, 2013, we left Topeka to go to Dallas, Texas to visit my sister. Chuck always insists on leaving very early on any trip. In Chuck's mind, it's just not a vacation if you aren't at least half way to your destination by about 10am. I usually uncomfortably sleep half way and arrive with no makeup, unbrushed teeth and hair matted to the side of my face.
When I awoke in Southern Kansas, I was greeted by a beautiful fog. The fog had frozen on the fences and weeds. I begged Chuck to stop so I could take a couple of pictures (completely throwing him off schedule).
"See," I said. "We may not have mountains or oceans but we have our own kind of beauty."
"I think that's just what people in Kansas keep telling each other because they can't afford to live in Colorado or California," he replied, anxious to get back on the road and needing a Cracker Barrel fix.
About an hour from Dallas, we saw a sign for Turner Falls. I consider a vacation an adventure, not necessarily a destination. We have found lots of interesting places by simply stumbling around. Turner Falls is a park operated by the City of Davis, Oklahoma. It is located about 2 miles off I-35 (Exit 47 or 51) and worth a side trip.
You must pay a small fee to enter the park and see the falls. We paid the winter rate of around $8.25 for both of us. Once you get past the commercial area at the entrance to the park, it was quite pretty, especially considering we were visiting in winter.
At 77 feet, Turner Falls is Oklahoma's tallest waterfall. I imagine after a rain, it is magnificent. Note the cave to the right of the falls in the side of the cliff.
Me with no makeup and flat hair.
During the summer months, you are allowed to play and swim in the waterfall but not climb it.
Turner Falls Park is located in the Arbuckle Mountains. Honey Creek cascades 77 feet to a natural swimming pool.
Lots of little fishes swim in the creek.
The Falls from a higher vantage point.
This must be an stunning area in the Spring, Summer and Fall. It's pretty even in winter but I would think Fall would be magnificent.
In this picture you can see part of the swimming beach and concession stand by the Falls. A bridge takes you from one side of the Falls to the other. There is a nice view from the bridge of the Falls and down Honey Creek.
The park covers about 1500 acres and has lots of camping spaces. We saw few campers unless you count this herd of deer.
These deer were not too concerned about our visit.
In the middle of one of the campgrounds is a food stand. "What! Camping and Funnel Cakes," Chuck exclaimed excitedly. I think we will be making a return trip some time in the future though I have read the park can get very crowded in the summer.
Above the Falls is a steep canyon.
I found the area above the Falls prettier than the Falls itself.
You can hike to the top of the Falls.
Top of the Falls.
This is the back entrance to the cave we saw on the front of the cliff next to the waterfall. Apparently, there are three natural caves in the park.
Honey Creek
You can get more information on Turner Falls Park at www.turnerfallspark.com.



No comments:
Post a Comment