
Another exciting night with Chuck!

Wiley in his new coat.

Wiley in front of the new fence.

A dramatic re-enactment.

Wiley and me.
This week was very exciting. On Monday, I won a contest. As those of you who know me well know, I sometimes enter contests on line. Before you start lecturing, I only enter contests from companies I relatively trust and feel won't sell my contact information. I never provide more information than my name and address (I always mispell my name so I can track if someone should start selling my name). I frequently get free samples, coupons and other small items (such as golf balls!). This week I won a "Fight the Flu" kit from Lysol. It contained, as you can guess, a can of Lysol. Also, kleenex, vitamin C, hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes.
Once at Saturn, we gave away a car in connection with some promotion. People had to sign up at various locations around Kansas City. When the woman who won came in, she told me she was a stay-at-home mom who basically had made a career out of entering contests. She had won several large contests before winning the Saturn car. She sold the car back to us (for less than sticker, of course) and walked away with several thousand in cash.
On Tueday, I was interviewed by a local TV station when coming back from lunch (it was my 15 seconds of fame). In Topeka, you must feed the meter to park downtown. Cars with out-of-county tags get "Oops" tickets should the meter expire. This is supposedly to encourge shopping downtown. (Topeka has a nearly dead downtown area. All stores have located to the West side of town on about a three mile stretch of road called the Wanamaker Corridor. The mall and almost every restaurant in town is located on Wanamaker.) Anyway, the city counsel was debating eliminating the "Oops" tickets (they give out about 5,000 a year). My comment was that the law should be applied equally regardless of the offenders address. The city counsel decided to continue the "Oops" tickets but reduce the number any license tag may receive in a year from 3 to 1.
On Wednesday, I locked myself out of the house. The last thing I do before I leave for work is put Wiley outside and make sure he has food and water. Wednesday, I was carrying out his food and water when I heard a gentle "click" behind me. Yes, the sliding glass door had slid shut behind me and locked. OH SNAP. I walked around front and of course, the front door and garage doors were also both locked. DOUBLE SNAP. I was dressed for work in a dress and high heel boots (very stylish). I considered going across the street to my neighbor's house and calling Chuck or one of the kids but knew it would take them 30 minutes or more to bring me a key. That day I just couldn't face 30 minutes of small talk with my neighbor so I decided to break into the house. We have replaced all our windows with Pella windows except three, the two in the upstairs master bedroom and the bathroom. The Pella windows are impossible to break into and also, cost prohibitive. However, I remembered when the kids used to lock themselves out after school, Joel would climb in through the bathroom window. Feeling very Charlie's Angelish, I climbed up the fence next to the window, balanced on top and attempted to swing over onto the window sill. My high heeled boots, though fabulous, were a hinderence so I took them off. I started to throw them into the bathroom ahead of me but decided it would be horrible if I couldn't make it and was standed outside without a coat and SHOES, so left them on the deck. The swing onto the window which is about twenty feet off the ground wasn't too bad, though my dress did get hiked up a little in back providing any backyard neighbors who happened to be sleepily sipping some morning Java while gazing out their window, a bit of a wake-up show. (Thankfully, I was raised right so I've never gone "Britney", that or any other day. ) I was able to retrieve my shoes and make it to work ON TIME (To be more specific, ON TIME in my world means less than 10 minutes late).
On Friday, I bought Wiley a coat. It was on the clearance rack at Target. I think he gets cold when he's outside all day when I work. Chuck thinks dogs shouldn't wear coats, especially male dogs named Wiley. So in defference to his objections, I bought the coat but made sure it was a very masculine hunting jacket made out of camo material. This is a family blog so I won't repeat Chuck's comments when he saw Wiley in his new coat. I think he looks handsome in an "Ashley Wilkes" kind of way.
In one of the photos of Wiley, please notice our new fence. They started putting it up this week. One side is done and they plan on finishing the other side next week.
Friday night, we watched "An Inconvenient Truth". Chuck and I both liked it. Al Gore says the planet only has about 50 more years if we continue to pour massive amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. It was a very convincing documentary however, I must admit I already was a believer in global warming prior to watching. If you want to calculate how much carbon dioxide you personally are responsible for producing, go to www.climatecrisis.net and take the test. Chuck and I were amazed we were higher than average. We thought we were very "green". If you haven't already done so, one of the easist things you can do is change your light bulbs to compact fluorescents.
So what's new in your world? As always, we can be e-mailed at chogan2@cox.net.



No comments:
Post a Comment