
After the last big snow, I asked Chuck to take me out for a drive to take some pictures. There are several roads designated as scenic byways in Kansas and we decided to take the "Native Stone" tour. For more information on Kansas scenic byways, visit:
http://www.ksbyways.org/
The "Native Stone" scenic byway begins in Dover, Kansas. Many early homes in Kansas were made from the local native stone. Many of these homes have been restored and are beautiful. Above is a picture I took of the historic "1878 Sage Inn & Stagecoach Station" which is now a bed and breakfast. The Inn was built to
accommodate travelers on the "Southwest Trail". This trail which ran from Topeka to Southern Kansas was also known as the Topeka-Council Grove Trail. In Topeka, the trail met up with the Oregon Trail and in Council Grove, it met up with the Santa Fe Trail. Directly behind the Inn pictured above is one of only two fords over Mission Creek. For more information on the Inn, visit:
http://www.historicsageinn.com/
I took this picture in "Echo Cliff Park" outside Dover. The cliff is about 75 feet tall and a favorite rock climbing spot in the summer. It's a very pretty spot in the summer. For more pictures of Echo Cliff Park, visit: http://www.washburn.edu/cas/art/cyoho/archive/KStravel/echocliff/
Prairie in Winter
Above is a picture of a Kansas native stone fence covered in snow. These fences are common all over Kansas. I think I heard once that the government actually paid farmers to put up these fences when the open range was outlawed.

We stopped for lunch in Alma, Kansas.

Native stone building in downtown Alma.
Chuck in "Deb's Cafe" whose motto is "There's always room for pie!"

After we left Alma, we took Highway 77 through the Flint Hills to Strong City. We ran across this abandoned Kansas farmstead and stopped to take some pictures. I'd love to know the history who lived here and why they left.

Cut-outs along the Highway of a covered wagon. I think there is a business near here that gives covered wagon demonstrations and tours.
Here are a couple of pictures of the
Kaw Mission School located in Council Grove, Kansas. The Mission o
pened in 1850 to educate the
Kaw Indians. I believe it was only open until 1854. For more information, visit:
http://www.kshs.org/places/kawmission/

I call this picture "frosted shredded wheat" for the obvious similarity.
I thought these horses in a snowy field were pretty.



The Tallgrass National Preserve is one of the few National Parks in Kansas. I want to go back when it's warmer and take the tour of the native stone house and barn. There is also a one room schoolhouse on the property. It was almost closing time when we arrived but it looks very interesting. For more information, visit: http://www.nps.gov/archive/tapr/home.htm

No comments:
Post a Comment