Mom and I went mushroom hunting up on the farm April 28th.
The river was a little high and very muddy.
We had a pretty day to spend in the woods.
So far I have found three ticks on me.
Chuck says I will be lucky if I don't get lyme disease.
Mom in her hunting gear
This giant tree was hit by lightning years ago. I could easily fit inside.
Something big seems to be living inside! Maybe Keebler elves?
The tree really creaks in the wind, it's amazing it's able to keep standing..
I found two mushrooms and Mom found four. Dad said he went mushroom hunting the same day we did and found ten, the next day he found one.
Note my prescription sunglasses on top of my head...they now live somewhere in the forest.
I hate mushrooms of any kind but I love walking in the woods along the river.
Another pretty tree
My great great grandparents (Andrew Jackson Summers) house used to stand on this spot. This land has been in our family for well over 100 years. I have probably looked out at this view hundreds of times in my life.
Now you know where I get my good looks!
When Chuck and I were first married, he used to bring his friends to the farm to hunt. They would spend the night in the old, abandoned farmhouse. However, when I was a child, farm workers were still living in the house. There was a door from the outstairs bedroom onto the roof of the porch, which had a little railing so people could sit (or maybe sleep in the hot summer) outside. I always thought it was really cool and wished I lived in a house with an upstairs deck. In my mind, the house was white with light blue trim. I wonder if that is true or a false memory?
The house had been empty for many years by the time this picture was taken. Poor deer!
Lots of daylilies are still growing in the former "yard". Daylilies are also called "ditch weed". I like to think some former relative may have planted these flowers. They have a orange double bloom. I dug some up and transplanted some to my garden several years ago.
Angela and I used to play in the creek near this bend in the road.
We were not allowed to go past this "tree".
Rosebud
Wild Sweet William
Wild Violet
I love the smell of Sweet William






















No comments:
Post a Comment